Eire Óg Inis

Founded 1952

Co. Clare

Club History

The club was formed at the end of February 1952, initially to cater for Junior hurlers. The historic first meeting took place in a house in Steele’s Terrace. The club’s first colours were white with a green shamrock and these jerseys were bought by the residents of Steele’s Terrace and the Boreen. In 1954 the club colours were changed to red with white collar and cuffs.

In 1956 Éire Óg won its first senior hurling championship, defeating Clarecastle in the final and repeated the feat the following year by defeating Whitegate. The East Clare side provided the opposition again in 1966 for our 3rd championship win, having also lost 3 finals in the meantime. A number of that team had been successful with Ennis Rovers, which had won Minor titles in ‘61, ‘62, ‘63, ‘65 and ‘66 and at Under 21 level in ‘64, ‘65 and ‘66. Éire Óg took over the rganisation of underage Gaelic games in the town from St. John’s and Ennis Rovers by forming a minor club in 1974. This club has been very successful, winning titles at every grade in hurling and football, the highlight being the All-Ireland Féile na nGael Division 1 Hurling title which was captured in 1999 in Wexford.

Senior Championship success came again in 1980, ’82 and ‘90 but the years since have been barren, despite final appearances in ‘92 and 2002. In 1971 Éire Óg fielded its first football team and Junior championships were won in 1975 and ‘76. 2000 was the first year that a club has qualified for both senior finals since Ennis Dals won the titles in 1929. The footballers beat Doonbeg while the hurling team lost out to Sixmilebridge. A second Senior football title followed in 2006.

In 1975 Éire Óg purchased land from St. Flannan’s College at Clonroadmore, where the club is now based. Since then a lot of money and hard work has gone into pitch development, building the clubhouse and dressing rooms, and the addition of a floodlit all-weather pitch. In 2003 a second playing pitch was developed under a lease arrangement with St. Flannan’s. 

Éire Óg Camogie Club was established by Michael Brennan in 1967; his senior team enjoyed immediate success, dethroning 9 in a row champions, Killanena, in 1968. The team went from strength to strength, winning 8 senior titles in a row. There followed a two-year gap before Éire Óg captured four more senior titles in 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981. In the more recent past, the club won the Div 2 All Ireland Féile na nGael competition in 2010. Having competed for many years at Junior level, they finally made the breakthrough from junior to intermediate in 2012. Since 2012, the club has enjoyed much success at underage, but, the big prize of senior status continued to prove elusive until 2017, when they claimed the league championship double, defeating Broadford, Clarecastle/Ballyea, respectively. Minor B U21B championships were also won in 2017. Ladies Football arrived in 2002, with an Under 12 and Junior teams. Barry Donnelly was first Chairman, succeeded by Alan Malone, who steered the club until 2014. Others involved were Sharon Malone and Claire Nihill. Shauna Keane and Orla McMahon have been playing members since the beginning, Shauna scoring the very first score for the new club in 2002.

Éire Óg Inis Academy was set up in 2012 following the break-up of the Ennis Urban Board. The Academy coaches girls and boys from the ages of U6 to U16 in the skills of both Hurling and Football. Our most successful year to date was 2017 when we won 5 County titles including representing Clare in the All Ireland Hurling Féile. However, the success of the Academy is not measured on County titles alone, as or even more important is that the Children enjoy coming to Éire Óg and enjoy the friendly, fun and safe environment.

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play